Friday 20 September 2013

It's not as you think! Or is it?


So many people are quick to judge. I won't lie, I've done it. It's like giving your opinion on a book after only reading the back cover, a few lines isn't going to give you the knowledge to judge the whole book. I suppose that's why the saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover" is so important to this post.

Everyday this week I've read something, somewhere about benefits. Cuts, caps, reviews - the list goes on. So many people rely on benefits, some people abuse them, other people need them but would rather not use them.

Why is there this black cloud over them? Every time the word "benefits" is used, there is silence. You can hear whispers and see pointing, as if the person has committed a crime. What is wrong with the world if people who need help can't get it without being called names or made to feel guilty.

A while ago, I spoke to an old lady who lives across the road from us. She retired early at 50 because she physically couldn't work any longer. Yet, she refused to claim benefits - benefits that she was entitled to. In my eyes, benefits she earned from working for 35 years. And her reasoning? She didn't want to be called a scrounger!

On the other end of the scale, there was a lady on the bus a few weeks ago. I'd guess she was in her forties. She was talking (very loudly) about her plans for the weekend, and I quote, "As long as my dole money gets paid in". It was at that point I realised what people meant.

There is a huge difference between people that can't work to those who won't. In my home town there are very little jobs available. It doesn't help that we have a non-existent "city centre" with hardly any shops. So, of course, there will be more people around here that are on benefits because there is no work. A few do voluntary work, but I know deep down they would rather be in paid work, looking forward to payday.

The series "Skint" shown by Channel 4 didn't help. People on benefits already have names thrown at them. This show did no help, it showed arrogant, big-headed pigs on some parts! Watchers took to social media to vent their anger at how "these people" were "allowed to get away with it". I felt like screaming, do they not realising that not everybody is like that? I have friends who, at one point or another, have had to rely on benefits to help them SURVIVE. People need to look at the root of the problem - no jobs, MPs thinking it's ok to claim £1000s in expenses but cut benefits.

And just how bad is this "crisis" going to get? The UK is in need of help, and quick! But maybe those who decide on how much a person *needs* to live on, takes a good look at their own life and bank balance first?! How much are they claiming in "expenses" for that second house? Our country, one of which we should be proud of, is so backward! I vote we get a politician a council house, 7 kids to feed and a benefit cap and then see how long they survive. I don't think it would be very long!

Don't lower yourselves, if someone is claiming benefits - have a think why. Are there any jobs for them? Do they have an illness which you can't see from the outside? I go back to the quote "Don't judge a book by it's cover!".


No comments:

Post a Comment